IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Tuesday, October 9, 2007

MORE ERIE OBSERVATIONS

Pufferbelly's Restaurant where we had Sunday brunch. This is an old fire station in Erie that has been converted. They had lots of artifacts from the old days inside including the original pole. We enjoyed lunch, but the food, to us, is pretty bland. You have to remember we come from the Land of LOTS of Seasonings. One thing we have noticed is that you do not see as many people who are REALLY obese like you do in the South. Could it be that you don't want to overeat when the food is just so-so?
Excuse sideways picture. This is roadside farmer's market with pumpkins, grapes, apples, etc. The pumpkins are cheaper than they are at home. I read that they have had a wet late summer which does make for better crops. As I do at the Christmas tree farm, I had to look at each and every one to make my selections.

This shows the beginnings of leaf change. Some of the trees have turned, just as ours do in stages, but everything is still very green. The lady at the nursery told me that they had a snow this coming weekend last fall. Perhaps the leaves turn and fall off and the snow comes all in the same week. That will make for a short period of enjoying God's painting abilities.


The grape vines went on and on for mile after mile. WOW! Who would have ever thought that they would have vineyards in PA? The wine we tasted was good, but I am only a sipper and only of whites. The others said the reds were good also. We actually saw them harvesting some of the grapes. They have a machine that looks like a little cotton picker that goes down the rows pulling the grapes. AMAZING! At the vineyard they have a sign in the tasting room-
EMPLOYEES MUST WASH FEET BEFORE ENTERING CELLAR
I just had to ask and yes, it is because of Lucy's adventure in grape mashing.
We noticed that everything is clean and you do not see trash up and down the streets and roadways. Perhaps they don't have all of the pickups where everyone here throws their trash and then wonders what happened to it when they get home. We should charge an additional tax on pickups to keep the trash picked up. It was refreshing to see everything so clean.
We ran at Presque (Erie pronunciation-Presk) Isle which was really something. It is flat and a little like being in a swamp at places. It is surrounded by the Lake Erie and the bay. There were an unbelievable number of people walking, running, biking, sailing, swimming, skating, etc etc etc. They have a paved path that is over 13 miles long and every tenth of a mile is marked. This might be a little too much information for me. It was really lovely!
I ran by myself Monday AM with a map from USATA site. I got a little lost as one street did not have a sign that I could find. The Erie Times deliveryman was gracious enough to give me directions. I only saw 2 walkers, so I assume Erites do not exercise early as we do at home. It was hot, but not LA HOT! The rolling hills made for a very nice run, but I did get a little lost. Thank goodness there is a tower by Camille & Adam's house that I used as a beacon home.
We really had a wonderful time and The Jennings seemed to be settled and very happy. IT'S JUST A LONG WAY TO ERIE!

No comments: