IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Sunday, October 7, 2007

ERIE OBSERVATIONS

The house is quiet as Adam is up studying and everyone is asleep, so a few quick observations about Erie. Erie is probably a lot like Ruston in that you would not opt for it to be your vacation spot, unless your children live there, but it has some very lovely areas. The main part of the town is FLAT-flat as the bayou parts of Louisiana, but the area that the Jennings live in is very hilly and full of beautiful trees, As you all know I am a tree hugger-so I am loving the trees. These are not the types of trees that we have at home and I will have to get a tree book to identify them, but they are beauitful. A lot of the foliage is like ours in Louisiana, I suppose that is due to all of the rain that they get. You don't see all of the same folliage, but a lot is the same.

The people for the most part seem nice. A little removed and not as overly friendly as the South, but nice. I am used to going anywhere and having someone's social history by asking one question. They are not open like that here and I have gotten a couple of wierd looks when I ask "How are you" to complete strangers. I would say about half and half when the question of friendliness comes up. Camille observed that when you were in a situation where they should know you-work, church, neighbors-she found them friendly and helpful.

One really neat thing that we could take a lesson from in the south, I observed yesterday. At the grocery that Camille and Adam shop in (which is a REALLY neat grocery-envy them=Walgaman's I think) they have a service where after you have bought your groceries if you have children to contend with, they will bring your groceries to a loading door and bring them to you and load your car for you. All you have to load is those kids. Now that is a neat idea!

The drivers are terrible! Now not all of them, but I have only seen worse in Mexico! You really have to be on the defense, for I am not sure they know what that red light or stop sign means. We were wondering if this is from driving in the winter and slipping and sliding around. One thing is for sure-I would hate to turn a new driver loose on these streets!

We are up and off to church this AM, so more will come later, but these are a few of my early mornings thoughts. We are so enjoying being here with Camille & Adam! They are very happy and a joy to be around. I see Mr. Blue Jay out the window so maybe I will go and observe a little nature before the house starts stirring!

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Glad you 2 are enjoying Erie...I'm looking forward to pics!

Could you pray for me this week? I've been sick with a cold all weekend and this is going to be a BUSY week for me at the church with committee meetings and teacher trainings, etc. PLUS I'm closing at Starbucks tomorrow night. So, it looks like I'll be working every night this week on top of getting over this cold. I only need to make it to Friday (my Sabbath)!