IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Sunday, June 6, 2010

SUNDAY SOUTHERN TRADITIONS

Once upon a time--LONG ago---there was the traditional "Dinner on the Grounds" after Sunday Services. My sweet friend, Mona's church still eats on the grounds---I think once a year. After all they do have a nice air conditioned fellowship hall now. Their little church is about 20 minutes out in the country and they still have a small core of attenders--even in this day of "Jump in the car". We are having our own version of this at CCC today. We bring "Pot Luck" (I assume you do know what pot luck is) and the membership eat out under the large portico. I got up early to grill a tenderlion and make the accompanying dishes. This was a time for the church cooks to strut their stuff and bring out their best dishes. My favorite memory was the delicious fried chicken and the long table of cakes and pies. As an adult I learned that Mom's needed to keep an eye on their children or the table could be bear when they passed through. I guess that is the explanation of why children ate last in our parent's generation. We now have switched that and the children are at the front of the line.

It is VERY HOT & VERY HUMID in Louisiana this year. MISERABLE even for us that have spent our lives here. I am wondering how much fun it will be to eat out in the heat-----while sweating----but plan to focus on memories of childhood and "Fun on the Grounds".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's SUCH A SWEET posting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are plans to renovate our "eating area", and as much as it is needed, it will break my heart to see that tin covered stretch of tables disappear!

I have GREAT MEMORIES of eatings out there.

Luh YA!!!