IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Wednesday, June 9, 2010

I'VE BEEN THINKING----------

Is it really true that women are NEVER satisfied? When you get a group of us together---in fact when you get as many as 2---the topic of our size comes up. I can't remember EVER hearing ANYONE say----"I am REALLY HAPPY---DELIGHTED--I am SO SATISFIED--with my size and how I look. It's JUST wonderful!" YEAH RIGHT and the men in the white coats will be RIGHT HERE to pick you up! We are perpetually unhappy.....my current reply is "I am SO squishy---I need to get back in the weight room." To which I invariably get groans and moans. All I can say is I have to look in the mirror when I get out of the shower. GROAN!

Perhaps all of this obsession has come from our media and the "Perfect----Airbrushed--Bodies" we are confronted with daily. NO NOT CONFRONTED BOMBARDED! It's enough to make the MOST perfect squeamish when passing a mirror.

I really don't remember my parents generation being so obsessed with their image. I can personally tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that my mother NEVER lifted a pinkie to exercise. OH WAIT---yes one time she went to "Foxy Lady" for about a month. They had these mechanical machines that they strapped you to and they moved your appendages for you. NOW THAT WORKS REALLY WELL!! That was Momma's idea of exercise. She seemed to pretty much just take what she had and live with it---with a little cinching up.

When I tell you that you look good----YOU LOOK GOOD---quit looking for that one little flaw and just do the best with what you have.

PERHAPS THE ANSWER IS TO JUST GET RID OF ALL THE MIRRORS---AT A MINIMUM THE FULL LENGTH MIRRORS ANYWAY!

2 comments:

Marylou said...

I think we struggle with that in ALL areas of our life! Sometimes the drive and determination to be better is good...and sometimes I wish we could just be like your momma and be happy with what God gave us!

Anonymous said...

If life's a marathon then we all want slow times!