IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Monday, November 3, 2008

WHAT TIME IS IT ANYWAY?

Once again the federal government is fooling with my mind. They mess around a lot with my head anyway, but I can always count on two times a year when the time is changed. What started as a measure to conserve energy, has hung around for quite a long time now. I do enjoy the long evenings in the summer time, BUT it takes me a good week to get my body clock adjusted to the mere one hour change.

One of the best things about the change in the Fall is that we are no longer running in the complete dark for our entire run. In the past few weeks, we never even saw twilight before finishing the mid week runs. It is difficult enough to be visible to motorist who are not looking for us, but when it is pitch black the danger raises exponentially. Today we started in the dark, but before we finished our five miles, it was not dawn, but daylight did surround us. Some of the runners begin to run in the late evenings when it finally has cooled off enough to not push you into a heat stroke. Unfortunately, this means they are running in the dark in the evenings. You just can't win!

Today's run was under "Ideal" conditions. The temperature was cool enough to make the breathing and effort easier, but it was not so cold that I was stiff. I had my best time that I have had in a LONG time. Of course, as usual, I was chasing Babs around town. Just about the time that I begin to get on her tail, she takes off again. It is the old story of the tortoise and the hare, but this turtle just cannot seem to pass that jack rabbit. It definitely keeps it interesting. BUT HEY, I ran a 9:30 mile the LAST mile, trying to keep up with her-so I AM NOT COMPLAINING!

I don't have anymore time to blog. I have to go figure out how to change all the clocks in every room of the house and multiple ones in the kitchen. I'll do that just as soon as I figure out JUST WHAT TIME IT IS!

7 comments:

the Jennings secede from the South said...

I'm confused too! I feel like I should be in bed as soon as I get home from work!

Anonymous said...

My body is confused. 2pm is now coffee time according to my body. And I'm in bed by 7:30! How "old lady" is that?!

NY Yankee Fan (despite their season)

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

Y do you have so many clocks???

Lora said...

OK-SO MAYBE I might be just slightly OCD!

SND said...

You OCD?? Never!!!!

Hannah Lee said...

I heard Bush was doing away with DST. It is so unneccessary except to confuse the heck out of us! Congrats on the fast mile!

Anonymous said...

Man, Speedy---I am so proud of your time!!! That's too cool!

The time change confuses me terribly!!! I have to think too hard before it changes, asking myself (OK...is it going to be DARKER or LIGHTER when I wake up Sunday morning??) And I am normally too embarrassed to ask (except my closest buddies, which as you know, with you all, there are no questions to dumb for me to ask)...anyway...since I sleep later on Sundays, on the day after, I still can't determine how this time works. SO..I just wait until Monday morning and then I know my answer. I'm just glad we'll be a little safer in the mornings!! (Goose Creek)