IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Tuesday, November 25, 2008

PER YOUR REQUEST

For all my Yankee and other friends that might not have this recipe:

SPINACH MADELINE
2 pkgs frozen chopped spinach
4 T. butter (THE REAL THING-ALWAYS!)
2 T. flour
2 T. chopped onion ( I always use more)
1/2 c. evaporated milk
1/2 c. vegetable liquor (reserved liquid from spinach when you drain)
1/2 t black pepper
3/4 t celery salt
3/4 t garlic salt
Salt to taste (I never add more than the above)
Red Pepper to taste (CAREFUL!)
1 t. Worcestershire
2 T. chopped fresh jalapeno peppers (I use a little more)
6 ou Kraft Velveeta cheese product (I use a mixture of Mexican & Pepper Jack-we like it hot-you can play with how much of what kind you use-BUT definitely need Mexican or Pepper Jack)
1. Cook spinach according to pkg directions. Drain WELL & reserve needed liquor.
2. Melt butter in saucepan over low heat. Add flour, stirring until blended and smooth, but not brown. (I use wooden spoon-you are making a basic white sauce)
3. Add onion & cook until soft, but not brown. I actually put my jalapenos in the last minute or two unlike what the recipe will call for later.
4. Add vegetable liquor and milk-SLOWLY, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Cook until smooth & thick while continually stirring.
5. Add seasonings, Worcestershire, jalapenos (see note above), and cheeses which have been cut into small pieces. Stir until melted.
6. Combine with cooked spinach-stirring well until thoroughly mixed. May be served immediately or put into casserole and topped with seasoned breadcrumbs. I always do the latter and put into the refrigerator overnight or freeze. Letting it "sit" for a period brings out the wonderful pepper flavors.
350 degree until bubbly
YOU CAN FREEZE THIS..
I always make a double recipe-one recipe feeds six and for holiday dinners prepare 3 recipes. One recipe will go into a small casserole dish-two or more need larger dish.
NOTE-the original recipe used the rolls of Kraft jalapeno cheese that are no longer made, they still make a garlic cheese, but not the jalapeno. Thousands of Southern cooks went into deep mourning when they discontinued making it. When you used this you did not have to cut, scrape & chop the jalapenos-they were in the cheese in perfect proportion.
SO GOOD-NOT THANKSGIVING WITHOUT IT!
NOTE 2-You can also use this as a dip without the breadcrumbs.

7 comments:

Deb said...

I am thinking of an Italian version of this ....with garlic and maybe some artichoke...wonder what that would be like. I am Irish, but Rome invaded Ireland way back when so I think I must have an Italian gene or two!

Have a wonderful holiday. It will be quite a crew!

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

This yankee living in the south has decided to make this tonight (wed) with steaks and duchess potatoes and chocolate creme brulee.....leftovers will be eaten tomorrow. I couldn't wait hehehehe.

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

OK, I officially LOVE spinach madeline. Made it this afternoon. Sad to say.....I had to use velveeta singles and unrap like 10 of them hahaha and then just used regular pepperjack cheese and used a whole jalapeno. I can't wait to dig in tonight w/my roasted filet, duchess potatoes and my chocolate espresso creme brulee.

Anonymous said...

Rumor has it that some of those Yankees, trailed by a couple of aliens, were headed to your house today. Hope they made it there safe.

Anonymous said...

mmmmmgood I'd hb

Anonymous said...

mmmmmgood I'd say hb

Deb said...

Well, it is in the oven...only change I made was I added some sauteed mushrooms....I had some that needed to be used....sooo... I will let you known.