IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Friday, November 7, 2008

NURSE BETTY

"In sickness and in health." BC had dental surgery this afternoon. BIG TIME DENTAL SURGERY! The description alone makes my knees a little weak. The endiodontist wisely gave him a valium to take just before the "Procedure". By the time I had driven him to Dr. Farrar's office, he was definitely MELLOW! Perhaps we should get a permanent prescription for this little miracle drug. After a couple of hours "In the chair", they called me to come pick him up . Upon arriving to pick him up, I found him on the phone to the office discussing "The Market" with his office staff. THE MIRACLE OF MODERN DRUGS!

He has kept an ice pack on his jaw since we got home and he is now on the second round of pain meds. He seems to be entering the Land of No Pain! As I gaze across the room, he is teetering between the Land of the Living and "Twilight Land". We have spent weeks talking about this procedure and dreading the day, but now that it has come and gone-we are glad it is behind us. The road to recovery is now being walked down and the sense of dread is replaced by the sense of relief from the dread of the unknown.

When we speak those words in our marriage vows, "In sickness and in health," we do not realize how easy it is to talk the talk. Walking the walk-is another thing entirely. We have friends who have nursed their spouses through terminal illnesses, as well as friends that have nursed their spouse through the "Big C". This proves to be a true test of love and the vows we so easily spoke. When you are "In the trenches" of nursing, it is a blessing to have received grace since then we can much more easily bestow grace.

I am blessed to have the opportunity to "Nurse" sweet BC. I have prayed and continue to pray for a swift recovery for BC. It is my pleasure to Nurse my Sweetie and I know he would do the same for me.

Truly- "In sickness and in health".

5 comments:

adrian seney said...

You are a sweet wife! Tell Uncle BC we hope he gets well soon!! I have had a couple of dental surgeries that were NOT fun at all! The Seney's will also pray for a quick recovery.

Elisha Leigh said...

To this day I am still so grateful to how attentive and loving Daddy was to Momma. Talk about some serious 'in sickness and in health.'
I'm praying for a quick recovery; tell him he needs to stop talking!

the Jennings secede from the South said...

AWW DAD! Hope you feel better! We love you! See you soon!!!

Deb said...

This too shall pass....I know it is a pain. I remember Jim's gum surgery. Not fun at all. H

Hope he is back to normal soon!

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

eeeeck, hate the dentist....have to go there tomorrow to get my permanent crown put on.

Hope he feels better!