IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Sunday, November 16, 2008

OH FOR THE GOOD OLD DAYS

BE SURE AND TURN OFF THE MUSIC IN THE SONGLIST BEFORE WATCHING THE VIDEO. JUST CLICK ON THE DOT ON THE LEFT SIDE ABOVE THE SONGLIST.

We were discussing the good old days and the great sitcoms we once watched. There were not many choices nor many channels during the early years of television. Somehow-someway they managed to fill those few precious time slots with classic comedies, great westerns, and timeless dramas. Where oh where did all of the great writing go?

I pulled up this classic "I Love Lucy" episode and laughed uncontrollably while sitting here all by myself. Watch & Laugh! They just don't make them like this anymore!

5 comments:

Deb said...

Love it! I watched these over and over as a kid and laughed as hard each time. I am looking up the Queen of the Gypsies song....

Anonymous said...

Lucy was cool....but Andy was "the bomb!" There has NEVER been a show with better characters than Andy, Barney, Floyd, Otis, and MY very favorite....ERNEST T BASS!!

I still watch at least 3 episodes a week..sometimes 3 A DAY!!

(I must say...I NEVER liked Helen...she stayed ticked off at Andy too much of the time!)

(Goose Creek Buddy!)

jackie said...

I agree Lora! I wish they would bring back more wholesome shows for families to watch. I think it would help with some of the societal problems of today if they were given a chance to see shows with moral vallues and real family life. Yeah for I Love Lucy, Andy Griffith, Dick Van Dyke, Growing Pains, etc.

Baby High Five said...

we just watched that episode with the kids and they thought it was hilarious. Here is another one they love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8Pk1UYkB3I

Danny Lucas said...

My siblings asked me to do the eulogy when mom died last May. I did.

In one part, I sang a tune from the Mickey Mouse Club ending. Mom was Gerrie Lucas.

A Shakespeare quote preceded this (from King Lear, as the King was bid farewell....we bid farewell to our queen).
That line?

"The weight of this sad time we must obey;
Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say."
---from King Lear/ Shakespeare

And so, to the tune of Mickey Mouse Club ending, I sang what I felt, not what I ought to say:

"Now it's time to say goodbye, to all our fam-i-ly.....
G-E-R...Why? Because We Love You....R-I-E....
L-U-C-A-S"

Mom then had 99 grandchildren and great grandchildren. My daughter added number 100; and 101 has come around this month.
Ten siblings still live out of 12.

None knew Shakespeare.
All knew Mickey Mouse Club.
It was a good farewell.
The oldest stuff is still the best.