IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Friday, November 21, 2008

WHAT CLASS ARE YOU?


You see plenty of people out running at all times of the day and night and in all weather. I have observed a few things about runners over the long years of running. Included in my observations is the fact that there are a two distinctly different classes of runners.


When the weather is absolutely perfect (about 2 weeks in the Spring and 2 weeks in the Fall in Louisiana), the streets are flooded with runners. A dead give away to a novice runner is nice-clean new shoes and a perfectly matched brand new running outfit. This class of runner appears EVERY year for a very brief period of time. They are gung ho and into the appearance of being a runner. Filled with good intentions-they give the appearance of world class athletes-BUT you do know what they say about "Good Intentions"? This class is for sure "Fair-weather" runners.


The rest of us belong to a distinct group often accused of being OCD. Perhaps we are a little over the top-but no pain-no gain. While running this AM with "The Flash", we were laughing about some of our COLD runs. She remembered a day that we started on the North side of town on 167 and headed into town. The temperature was in the 20's and the ground was hard as a brick. My most distinct memory is a day that "Flash" and I ran in the sleet and how the ice pellets hurt when they hit your face. We both laughed about ice forming on all of our backs from the sweat that seeps through and then freezes when hitting the cold air. It really does not matter what the weather is-we are going to run. This morning it was 34 when we started at 5 AM (which means arising at 4:30). Two layers of gloves, two layers of shirts and a jacket, cotton in ears and a knit head band, and long pants complete the cold weather ensemble. The "Die Hards" are not into fashion-we all wear what we have worn for years and years. We are into what works-and we determined that after trial and error over the years. My shoes look new for about a week and then they match the rest of my outfit-worn. We don't worry so much about what we look like as we do what our time is. Running the last 7 miles of my 10 mile run-alone-well that is "Die-Hard". Cold north winds, sleet, snow, rain, fog, and stifling heat all come with the territory. Running through injury and with colds and coughs and muscle cramps-we tend to be like the "Energizer Bunny"-we just keep going and going.


Two distinct classes-but there is always a chance that the "Fair Weather" will morph into a "Die-hard". Over the top or dedicated-you decide, but it really doesn't matter what you think or say-we will just keep on keeping on-day after day after day. Perhaps I am a die-hard, but when I die-please bury me with my running shoes on!

6 comments:

the Jennings secede from the South said...

Oh you should SEE the die hards here. It is 15 degrees and snow squalls are hitting and there's still some yahoo running down the road.

Anonymous said...

The 30-degree runs start here in October. By November, I'm running in 20-degrees (this morning it was 22). December and January are mostly in the teens, sometimes in the single digits, with a smattering of below zero days. I think the coldest run I've done was -9. I always feel so free when I finally get to run in shorts and a t-shirt again, which usually isn't until June.

Hannah Lee said...

I just want some will-power. Will you please mail me some for Christmas or zap some my way? You are AWESOME to do what you and my MIL and your other crazy running people do. Can I be crazy like yall? KEEP IT UP! You are an inspiration.

Ann Miller said...

i think that's why you "die hards" are such hotties!!!! i am definately a fair weather, but one that has no fashion whatsoever!! i remember when i was living w/mom after graduating from grad school and being unemployed, i was a "die hard". i remember the morning i was running and discovered what snow looks like on a blue jogging suit!

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

I am a die hard......but not with running. With other cardio and yoga.....I ALWAYS GO. 6 days a week. I would emotionally beat myself up too much if I didn't go...it is not worth the mental torture to take a day off. You go no matter what....back pain, knee pain, shoulder pain pfffff...thas nothing! although I do try and keep my outfits for yoga spiffy...a girl can never look too stylish in a downward dog twisted into an outward dog, ya know.

Deb said...

I would just like to be a fair weather runner..hahaha