IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Thursday, June 9, 2011

I'M REALLY SUCH A LADY!!!

I went to Summer Reading Camp today as a volunteer to help with special activities. WHAT A HOOT! They needed volunteers to put in 4 different stations that the groups of 20 or so students rotated through. Debbie W. & I had the Bella Whale station. Basically we were teaching the students how the whales eat, but in my usual manner I did a LOT of embellishing.

After giving a demonstration of straining parsley suspended in water through various tools, to show how the whales eat-we then went outside for a little individual experimentation. We took small cups and put a little water & sprinkles which represented the shrimp inside them. The object was to put a big mouthful in your mouth, close your teeth (the strainer), and spit out the water. All that should be left is the sprinkles (food). These are first, second & maybe third graders--many of whom are missing multiple front teeth. IT WAS A HOOT! After the first group, I learned that I had to demonstrate the technique. I was really QUITE GOOD at it -THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

One of the teachers, Pam G., asked what my precious daughter, Camille would think of her mother's manners. I quickly told her she will be SO JEALOUS that she did not get to participate in the spitting! YEAH FOR SPITTING AT SUMMER CAMP!

3 comments:

The Tylers said...

Too funny!! I love that you volunteer so much. Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

My sunflower seed package (I'm addicted to them) says "eat, spit, & be happy". So I do. I've noticed people riding motos with me don't like to ride behind me for some reason.

Chrome Cowgirl

Deb said...

But we want pictures!