IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Sunday, October 19, 2008

TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION

Here we are at the Houston Marathon in January. The runners often laugh about the questions we get asked-OVER AND OVER. In an effort to ONCE & FOR ALL-answer all those same questions-here goes-

"Did you run today?"- I now run 3 times a week and cross-train on the other days. Unless we are training for a specific event, the repetitive running is very hard. I work best when I have a day in between runs for my joints to recover. I take one day a week completely off and rest.

"How far did you run today?"- 5 miles during the week and on the weekend a long run with a base of 10 miles and no more than 12 or so. Babs, Mona & I are back at 8 miles after backing off for a while. In a couple of weeks we will be back to the 10 base. We plan to then run 10, 11, 12, and a shorter long run in 4 consecutive weeks. If we are not training for a marathon, that is plenty.

"Did I see you walking today?"-we all laugh and say the only time someone drives by you is when you are walking. We listen to our bodies and take a SHORT walk break if the day is difficult. We also walk on cross-training days and often walk 1-5 AFTER running our 5. So keep in mind-if you see us walking, we well may have already run 5 miles.

"Have you always run?"- the only sport ? I participated in during high school was cheer leading. Did LOTS of intramural sports-but no teams. I have run on and off since after #2 was born almost 32 years ago. I well remember BC & I running together in our first home-more than 25 years ago- and then after moving to Vienna. BC stopped running with knee and hip problems a long time ago. I have run continuously for more than 10 years now.

"How far was the marathon?"-ALL marathons are 26.2 miles. By the time you have run 26 miles you want credit for that .2.

"Do you run all year round?"-Yes-just like the Post office-I have run in rain, sleet, & snow. The STUPIDEST time I have run is being caught out when the lightning started. I have tried to be smarter about that lately.

and last but not all-

"Why do you run?"- # 1 Reason-Good endorphins
#2 Reason-Good health
#3 Reason-a hubby that tells me I am really slim. I weigh the same as I did before having 3 babies and wear the same size clothes that I have for years. It is more difficult to maintain these days-but I still work at it.

If you think of another question, I will be glad to answer. As I have told #3 daughter before, I will answer anything you ask me-but I may not give personal details-Just ask away.

2 comments:

the Jennings secede from the South said...

OH MY GOSH, you weigh the same as you did 40 years ago? Holy cow, batman. That's pretty impressive!

Hannah Lee said...

Can you please just send a little bit of that motivation this way? I've had bits and pieces of motivation but not the full thing like you have. I am so IMPRESSED!