IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Monday, October 27, 2008

ARE YOU A TURTLE?

We have our fair share of turtles that roam across our thatch covered woods surrounding our home. I love to watch the turtles as they slowly make their way and always wonder where they are going and why. I often laugh and say I am a turtle when I run. Slowly-methodically making my way to the finish line. I had much rather find a "comfort zone" while running and stay right in the middle of it. This gives me time to let my mind wander and enjoy the surroundings.

While thinking about the turtle today, I came to the conclusion that a lot of us humans are not unlike turtles in other ways. We develop shells that surround us and protect us from pain and harm while plodding along our way. With time and painful experiences, our shells tend to thicken and become heavier. We are able to withdraw into these thick and hard shells in an effort to shield ourselves. While hiding in our shells, the world continues to "happen" around us while we are oblivious. We have been so traumatized by pain in our lives that we stay hidden away to prevent further pain. The memory of the pain and the need to protect ourselves overrides the desire for living life to its fullest. How sad!

We have ended up dragging our shell around with us-loaded down with the weight and limited in our agility by the stiffness of the shell we spend our lives "gun shy". To live life in freedom and to the fullest, we would have to discard our shell and lay open to pain that could occur. Just as the toddler has a natural reaction to seek revenge by hitting back, we have a learned response to pain of protecting ourselves within our shell.

The shell is wonderful and effective protection, but the shell also limits our movement, weighs us down, and slows our motion. How do we learn to shed our shells and expose our undersides? I do not have an answer, but would be interested in yours.

2 comments:

Deb said...

I feel like all this extra weight I am carrying around is like a "fat shell"...hahaha. I guess I have "developed it". I have long shed much of my emotional shell. What you see is what you get. I love getting older...."ditzy" and all.

Hey...just looking at the pic I think this same guy was in my yard miles and miles away....maybe his twin.

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

I spilled a whole pitcher of pineapple mojitos on Labor Day whilst hold it between my ankles as my husband was driving and then decided to swerve to miss the subdivision turtle.