IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Monday, October 20, 2008

REVENGE IS MINE?

A basic response of a young child is revenge. When a toddler is hit, they hit back. You hurt me-I am going to hurt you. This is one of the reasons given in today's environment for not spanking children. The modern axiom is that you are teaching the child to hit. Interesting theory-but I am not sure if I agree with it. I am glad I have my children raised and am not faced with these questions. I always thought you had to determine what punishment worked for the individual child and then use it. Different children-different methods.

I digress-the subject is Revenge! The scripture tells us that "Revenge is mine saith the Lord." Obviously this teaches us that we are not to seek revenge, but to rely upon God to take care of that for us. However, what are we to do when we have not only turned the other cheek, but become a doormat under the feet of the one that has hurt us? How do you channel your pain into a positive place? What is right and what are you due when pain has been inflicted upon the innocent?

Our primal response is to hurt those that have hurt us. We begin to feel that we are the only party suffering the pain. There is no "Fairness Principle" when you have been hurt. Our tunnel vision tells us that of all the parties involved, we are the only one enduring the terrible pain. Perhaps-but then again perhaps not.

The high road is to suffer in silence and deal with that suffering on a personal basis. A very difficult road to walk down. Will we feel any better if we lash out in an effort to alleviate our pain? Will inflicting pain on our tormentors lessen our pain? Questions that hopefully will be asked before rash actions. Questions that determine our very character. Do we stoop to the level of those harming us and seek our righteous revenge? Do we rise to the higher level and endure the pain? Will we be the better for our silent suffering or will we be the only one to ever realize the suffering we are enduring?

Deep questions and thoughts on a Monday morning. What say ye? Righteous Revenge or Silent Suffering?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Read "The Shack" - it deals with issues of revenge vs forgiveness and also our concepts of good and evil. I would love to hear your book review of this one.

the Jennings secede from the South said...

I always regret snapping back but I never regret holding my tongue. I think you're right, we're vindicated by the Lord.

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

I agree w/anonymous "Read THE SHACK"........great book.

Marlene McGarrity said...

I ALWAYS want to snap back and seek revenge. I have to pray very hard to stop myself.

People better than me will tell you that they pray for the other person because the other person must be in a worse position to say or do whatever they did to upset you. I'm just not up to that step yet. One day I might be. For now I just pray to control my sharp tongue.

I agree with jennings - I've regretted snapping back, but not holding my tongue.