IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Monday, October 27, 2008

ONE OF MY FAVORITE DAYS






One of my favorite days of the year is
the day of my first Fall fire. The temps were cool for our run this AM and have gotten cooler today with a brisk breeze blowing all day. It was time to get the andirons and fire tools out for the season. The first fire is always tough to get going-but I am a fireplace purist. I do not want an insert, gas logs, or any other modern marvel-just a good old wood fire.



I sit and remember childhood memories of sitting in front of the fire and how much Momma & Daddy both loved it. It is truly a "Warm Feeling". Unfortunately, I am here alone with my memories sitting in front of the first fire of the season. AHHH! There is just nothing quite like the first fire and the promise of many more to come. Truly Toasty!

5 comments:

the Jennings secede from the South said...

I wish I was sitting beside you near the fire! I hope you made hot chocolate (with marshmallows!)
Can you believe it snowed here today?

Hannah Lee said...

I so was wanting a fire today too! Too bad, with hubby gone, I am not trying to burn our house down. Great seeing you the other night! You are one cute momma!

David "Dutch" Boersma said...

R took the summer board cover off of the fireplace today and I got one going about 4:30 or 5.
Macchi and Otto were curious but have not "warmed up" to the idea yet.

I think smelling it from the outside is maybe the best part. smell the wood smoke and then go inside and warm your bum.

Enjoy it!!!

Ann Miller said...

we had one, too! the best, though, is at your house, w/the fire going, both doors shut, and the electric blanket. i told steve last night, in our next house i want a hearth just like y'alls!!

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

I miss my wood fire.......we have gas here.