IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Monday, April 21, 2008

NOT MY USUAL SUNDAY!!!!!!

Sunday Early AM and I am up and getting ready to go greet before early church. Nothing unusual-just making lists in my head of all the things I plan to do the rest of the day, using the curling iron, just getting ready as I do everyday. My eye begins to really itch-I've had this happen before. It is some allergic reaction to something in my environment. Since I have been here 4 or 5 times in the last year or so, I get out the allergy drops for my eye and take a Clartin-to nip it in the bud. I begin to get stopped up, but just keep on trucking-in very short order my feet begin to itch like crazy. I am rubbing my anit itch cream on them and wondering what in the world is going on. I walk to the other end of the house and begin coughing and then in a few minutes realize that my throat is beginning to swell. WHAT IN THE WORLD! I take a benedryl-hoping to stop what ever is going on. When I realize I am mouth breathing like I am out for my fastest run, I go tell Bob that I need to go get a shot. On the way to town, we discuss should we go to urgent care or to the ER. For some reason we decide ER would be best. I actually think I am beginning to get better and start second guessing whether I am over-reacting! Maybe I should just go home and wait and see if the anit-histamines take over. Well we are on the way, so we just go on to the hospital. I go in and they immediately usher me back to triage. The triage nurse takes me on back to an examination room and the doctor is back there pronto. I HAVE NEVER BEEN to an emergency room and seen such fast action! Usually it's sit around and wait to sit around and wait more. He looks in my throat and says HMMMMM!!!!!!. The next thing I know the nurse has a double handful of syringes and is putting in an IV. Well I think, this will take care of it. They give me an epi shot, a benedryl shot and a steriod shot-what more could I need. They wait a little while and he comes back in the room with the nurse and he looks at my throat again. He says you throat is so swollen that we could not put an airway in if you needed it. The meds will make the swelling go down, but we need to watch you and make sure you do not rebound after the meds wear off. I am thinking, I will sit in ER for a while and then go home-NO he is thinking I will be admitted. Bobby goes out of the room and the nurse corners him and tells him that I will be in ICU since my airway needs to be monitored and that is the only place they can do that. WHAT DO YOU MEAN ICU???????? I stayed in ICU for about 10 hours while they continue to give me antihistimines and monitor my stats. The nurse did say I was the only one in the unit gripping and wanting out and that he would love to have more patients as healthy. They finally put me in a room upstairs where I was forced to stay the night. In my mind, the entire time, I am thinking I JUST NEED TO GO HOME! This morning FINALLY they let me go! My insides are shaking I am so wired from all of the meds, but there are no other after effects. HOW WIERD IS THIS???? I do now have an epi pen to keep with me, just in case. This may never occur again, but you never know. The bad thing is that we have NO idea what is causing it.

On the home front, the contracter is here putting up the molding! HURRAY! The floor people will come back Wednesday and seal the floor. The appliances will be here tomorrow. It is coming together slowly but surely!

Missed my morning run-will make that up tomorrow. Life goes on Friends-life goes on!

8 comments:

the Jennings secede from the South said...

Glad you're alive, Mom!
Love you, you tough woman.

Deb said...

Jim and I are in shock! The healthiest woman we know in ICU! We are humming that song, "What a difference a day makes". Man!..Jim said it sounds like a bug bite, but who knows!? Nothing worse than feeling as if you can't breath.

So glad you are doing fine!

Ann Miller said...

now, really, nothing like a James to suffer at the hands of an allergic reaction!!! perhaps, if you had called "Dr" James, you could have had that epi shot in the serenity of your own home...i am sure he keeps one, in the event he suddenly becomes resistant to "regular people" medicine!!!

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

Glad you are doing well....I freak when something goes wrong because I never have anything wrong either. I try and treat myself at home.......I am no wuss and who needs doctors anyway??? (no offense camille) Staying overnight in the hospital when I had kids KILLED me. I could just shoot them out and then leave in an hour. I HATE HOSPITALS.

Deb said...

Love the song....brought back memories... next I want to request the purple people eater song... should have used that one when Bobby had that crazy hat on at Christmas...

adrian seney said...

Some people will do ANYTHING to get out of greeting duty at church!!!! Just kidding! Sorry so that happened. We had dinner with dad and Laurie Sunday evening and he asked if we had talked/see y'all in awhile b/c he hadn't. Now we know why you weren't answering the phone!

B-HO said...

MS LORA that is scary stuff...Praise GOD for the speedy staff at the General...what are we gonna do with all you sickly ladies...This story just proves to show that not even the ICU can keep a GOOD WOMAN down...especially one with a mission and a deadline...LOVE YOU---GLAD YOU ARE ALRIGHT!

Cynthia said...

I heard of your recent adventure via Brandi's blog...crazy! Glad you're okay...I would be interested to hear this story from BC's perspective:)