IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Thursday, June 11, 2009

CONVILLE SPEAK

#1 daughter called this AM to tell me there is some confusion about what is wrong with me. After # 1 SIL read my last post, he thought I had typhoid. She and I got a good laugh from that. BC had a virus that really knocked him for a loop while I was in Erie-the first time. He is still hacking from that virus. I woke up Tuesday AM feeling bad, but went walking with the girls anyway. I started running a low grade fever later in the day and have had all the same symptoms that he did since then. Strange that it would take all this time for me to finally come down with the malady, but that is exactly what happened. I suppose you have to speak "Conville" to know exactly what I am talking about. Camille said she knew immediately that I was saying that I had caught what her Dad had suffered from. At any rate, I feel better-except for coughing all night and being so congested that I woke MYSELF up snoring (CHARMING!), I am on the heal.

This brings to mind that all families have "Their Own Language". It takes years and years to develop and most do not understand the meaning or source without the history. Inside jokes, shared lives, and long hours of conversations lead to a "Private Language". Think about it as you and your family talk-we all develop our own speech patterns within our family groups. There are idioms that we each separately brought to our marriage from our past and there is a lifetime of shared living that develops others. I am always amazed when BC and I are thinking the same thoughts at the same moment and how we can finish each other's sentences and anticipate the others reactions. With years of raising a family and living life, we have developed our own set of idioms. I will give #1 SIL a break-after all he has only had 3 years to learn "The Language".

Meanwhile-#1 & #2 Grands are coming to spend a week in beautiful downtown Vienna next week. FUN AND GAMES! I need to get all my projects finished up and everything "Lined Out" for the week to come. I DO NOT HAVE TIME TO BE UNDER THE WEATHER!

4 comments:

the Jennings secede from the South said...

I've had worse on my lip and kept on whistling.

Deb said...

Glad to hear things are looking up...man, it took you a long time to catch his bug! Must be a new strain by now don't ja think?

About the language thing..my favorite Anderson saying is: "Be careful or you'll tear a web in your spidergear." I have more that I can't print.... they are from my side of the family. Oh, here is another one...."do you walk to work or carry your lunch?" So goofy....

Anonymous said...

"I am always amazed when BC and I are thinking the same thoughts at the same moment and how we can finish each other's sentences and anticipate the others reactions."

Trying to decide which one of you should be more insulted! :-)

Hannah Lee said...

I am so glad you cleared things up for me. I was really really confused. Sorry to hear that you are feeling bad and I hope it is a full and speedy recovery!