IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Saturday, December 15, 2007

TOO STUPID TO GET IN OUT OF THE RAIN!

We started our run this AM at 6 which was the first mistake of the day. We should have started at 5 and maybe gotten through before the bulk of the rain came. It was not just raining-IT WAS POURING! We had agreed to run, unless it was lightning and when we began it was not lightning. When we got to the very farthermost point from the start, we saw the first lightning. We ended up stopping 4 times and getting under a porch to try and out wait the lightning. This made for a long run. When I tell you we were soaked, I don't think I have EVER been quite this wet. My shoes weighed a ton from all of the water in them and my sleeves were 6 inches longer than usual because of the pull from all of the water. The cold air started blowing about half way through the run and my hands were so numb I could not get my fuel belt off when I got home. That long hot shower felt great! I think we now have successfully trained in every type of weather that could be in Houston. The hottest of the hot, the below freezing, the sun, the fog, and now the monsoon rain. It really is not smart to run when it is lightning, but when you get out that far, you have to get back. We kept thinking it was over, but then another bright halo of light would flash and a low rumble of thunder. In the great words of Babs, "Well I can't say that it was enjoyable, but it was memorable." Just as many days of life blend into each other, so do runs begin to blend and look alike. Runs like today make for good stories when we are sitting around talking and laughing and reminiscing about "good times."

We had the James family Christmas get-together tonight at brother, Robbie's & Laurie's home. The star of the evening was Adrian and Caleb's daughter, Audrey. Shades of Camille many years ago. She absolutely entertained us all evening. She is quite a cutey and has a personality not unlike her Aunt Ann & cousin, Camille. DRAMA QUEEN! Her little sister, Abby, is really cute, and crawling everywhere. She is in the stage when she only wants her Momma. I laughed and told her Mother that when my kids went through this stage I had a pet name for them, which I will not post. We only had all of Noel's family there since mine and Robbie's kids are spread out all over the nation.

Robbie had invited old family friends from Farmerville, The Holders. I was telling Mrs. Holder about writing about Momma and she told me a couple of short stories about Momma & Daddy.

She told me she remembered coming to our house for dinner when Noel was a baby. She said that Aunt Mattie Maude and Uncle Bryant came by after dinner and took Noel home with them to spend the night. This obviously is before the family split. She did not have many details for me though of the evening.

She also told me a story of having a wreck not far from our home on James Avenue. She said that Daddy & Robbie were the first to come to her aide. It seems that Daddy took care of everything and was very reassuring to her. She remembered Robbie being young at the time.

Another little piece of the puzzle!

I am sitting by the fire and Christmas tree enjoying being warm and at home. It doesn't get any better than this!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous!!! I wanted to be there so badly! I know y'all had fun. Audrey is something else!! Those are beautiful girls.
Love-
Ann

Anonymous said...

I want you to know I did not write that first post. I and would never say that.remember I am passive agressive. Just kidding -you are brave -remember a friend of mine once said there were two times she would not run- thats when it is raining and then when it is not. I'll drink to that. Great plan and I do hope you finish with flying colors. You will feel a sense of accomplishment.Think of all the thinking and praying time you have had an the life lessons you have gotten frome the whole experience. Rooting for you Lora and am proud you have the (sticktuitiveness)sp? now I know I will be anonymous. Enjoyed your blogg message about how life and running are like the traveling we do through this life and lessons learned. Endurance thats the word yeah thats it . thanks Lora I look forward to reading everyday.

Anonymous said...

We enjoyed spending time with everyone, too. You didn't even mention the best part of the night...the electricity going out! I may need SERIOUS help with Audrey one day - she is a mess and very DRAMATIC - just like her nanny (Aunt Ann). Adrian