IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Wednesday, December 5, 2007

IT PAYS TO LOOK DOWN!

For all of you nay sayers out there, I will give you one good reason to run, jog, or even walk. As Susan and I were running our last mile in our 10 mile run this AM, she was a few steps ahead of me. All of a sudden she comes to a screeching halt! She is pointing to her left at the folded up $10 bill! We both point then a few steps ahead of that and there is another $10 bill! This is one of the reason that we run. We are always looking down to see where we are putting our feet. One of the perks from this is finding money. We are always finding coins-all along the road. The discovery of bills is really rare. I know Sheila found a $20 bill one day, but that is a rarity. We will all stop and stoop down to pick up the money unless we have run about 20 miles. The amount of money has to be more than a penny, nickel or dime for a stoop down at that point. It is too hard to get down and then back up after all those miles. We talked it over while running that last mile and decided to donate the money to CCA to help brighten someone's day. Don't ever tell me that it doesn't pay to run-for today was definitely Pay Day!

Look at Camille's blog today. They are having Big Snow and she has posted pictures. What must it be like to not only get a big snow, but for that snow to stay longer than a couple of days. I may just have to make a trip to the Great Frozen North later this winter to see this for myself. The sight of that Great Lake frozen with fishermen all over it intrigues me every time I think about it. I am looking outside at a beautiful sunny day and planning yard work. What must it be like to live in a Frozen Wonderland?

I do remember, as I am sure you all do, one Christmas that we had snow. It was so cold and, as always, we did not have electricity. Here it is a day or two before Christmas and we have no lights, no heat, and little travel. Bobby loves this kind of weather, so he had gotten chains for his car. He mostly loves to be out in the middle of it, just like my Daddy always did. Bobby went to get Momma, who also had no heat, and brought her back to the house. We closed ourselves into the den with the fireplace going. At the time, we had an insert in the fireplace, which keeps the fire from projecting into the room. Without the blower working on the insert, the heat was almost non-existent from the fire. IT WAS SO COLD! Robbie did call and he had a motel room for his family with heat. He came to get Momma since she was quick to dessert the ship when there was a promise of heat.

I got out one of my old camping pots and we warmed soup on the fire. It was truly a pioneer experience. We were all close-since the only way you could stay warm was to combine that body heat. We did have warm clothing since we had ski clothes. This is one of my most memorable Christmases. The fact that I had not finished my shopping, could not cook my traditional dinner, had not Christmas lights did not deter my Christmas spirit. I just looked out the window at the beautiful snow covered woods and Christmas was once again magical.

I need to run now. I think I will buy a lottery ticket. MY LUCK APPEARS TO BE GOOD FOR TODAY!

3 comments:

the Jennings secede from the South said...

I remember that! We sled down the big hill on Old Wire!

Anonymous said...

Oh, the Christmas at the (what used to be)Holiday Inn. Adrian, Andrew, Steve, Momma, and me!! I can't remember if Caleb was there or not. Quite interesting!! Ann

Anonymous said...

Of course Caleb was there! How could Ann not remember? Laurie was there, too. I bet it was more fun at your house than at the Hoilday Inn. Next time there is a storm, I have dibs on a bed at your house, Aunt Lora.

Love, Adrian