IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Saturday, December 8, 2007

JAMES STICK TREES!

Running Formula

Hot+Humid+Running=Dried Salt +Friction=Chaffing + H2O=WHHHOOOOAAAAOOOOHMYGOSH

The above formula is an absolute when running long 21 mile runs in temperatures that began at 67 degrees at 5 AM. Four hours later-the resulting yell in the shower. There were a couple of places under my arms that actually began hurting about mile 15 and I knew were going to hurt when the water hit them. I was going to be SOOO smart and put Vaseline over the chaffing, but the place on my waist in the back and the places that the elastic hit my upper legs-WELL THAT SNUCK UP ON ME! Tired legs can even jump when the water hits that burn!

My earliest memories of Christmas include a "Normal" Christmas tree. Somewhere along the way before I hit the double digits, we began having stick trees. I will have to give Aunt Mattie Maude credit, as this was her original idea. Momma was never one to "copy" anyone else's idea, so I assume Daddy insisted upon us also having a stick tree. Momma would say, "If you can't be first and set the trend, then don't get in the mob and be just a follower." Or something like that.

We began getting American elm branches. Now not just any tree branch would do-it had to be an American elm which had little wings on the branches. You painted the branch white and put it into a pot or stand to hold it up. The tree was then placed in the front window of the house. We put glass solid color ornaments on every conceivable surface. There was then a spot light shown from the bottom of it up through the branches. The effect was so beautiful. From the road,the glass ornaments looked like lights shining in the branches and twinkling in the night.

I have actually had one of these trees in all the years that Bobby & I have been married and it was the "extra tree." Somethings though are just better left as a part of your childhood. We started our own tradition of the "real thing" tree when we married. The annual trip to find the "perfect tree" is another story. We have finally evolved into an "artificial tree" which I didn't think I would ever do. Some parts of Christmas are reserved for the years with your children, and the "real tree" with its amazing smell were a part of their childhood that I hope if "magical" for them.

4 comments:

the Jennings secede from the South said...

Ah, yes. The trip to the tree farm was magical!

Anonymous said...

You are truly amazing!!
Ann

Anonymous said...

I asked Mom and Dad about their Christmas trees when they were growing up. Dad made mention of just that- the trees grandma and grandpa wanted were few and far between- didn't grow in much light and extremely hard to find.
This post made me smile!
Elisha

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.