IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Wednesday, December 12, 2007

CALL ME CRAZY & MARTHA OR CRAZY MARTHA!

Just before time to jump out of the bed this morning at 4:55, I hear the rain begin. We had all agreed that unless it was lightening, we needed to run our 10 mile mid week run today. I get up, ready, & out the door. On the way to our appointed start, Babs calls and says, "Are you on your way?". You could hear the disappointment in her voice when I answered affirmative. Susan, the smart one, didn't even bother to get up nor call that she wouldn't be there. She probably thought no one would be so stupid and run in the downpour. Larry, Babs & I were that stupid! Before we had run a quarter of a mile, Babs realizes that she is in severe pain. She has a blister under one of her toenails. As we have discussed before-THIS IS REALLY PAINFUL! It hurts so much that you cannot stand to have the sheet touch your foot in the bed. She stops and Larry and I continue on. Larry actually keeps me in sight until we get past W. California, which is a little sketchy. We run through intermittent pour downs and sprinkles with much effort going into trying to avoid big puddles. Crazy as it might sound, if your feet get really soaked, this can lead to blisters-so we try to put that off as long as possible. About the time we are going to start the HATED Harvest Run at about 5 1/2 miles, Larry heads back to the cars. He has already gotten a blister on his big toe. I head into the Harvest Run and the last 4 1/2 miles by myself-in the rain-and questioning my sanity. LONG STORY SHORT-it's over! My fast twitch muscles seem to have gone on sabbatical. I thought I was running faster today, but once again the time is slow. At this point in time, it is probably too late to fix it, so I will just hope I can finish before they close the finish gate at 6 hours. It was hot, wet, and I was covered with road spray from passing vehicles-but I am down to ONE more 10 mile midweek before I begin the taper. THE END IS IN SIGHT!

When I got home, I started cooking for our small group Christmas party tonight. I found two oldie but goodie recipes that I was inspired to fix. Momma was never a cook, but once or twice she made these cheese rolls that you rolled in paprika that I loved. I found a recipe close to that and have it ready to go. I also cooked a cookie that I used to make many years ago with a peppermint inner icing in honor of the Christmas season. When I put the final chocolate icing on, I hope to decorate the top with a little Christmas decoration. I love to cook, which is pretty strange since I never had a role model to follow in that department. Momma was never much of a cook and didn't really enjoy gardening, decorating, or other pursuits of mine. I am not sure where the love of all of these came from, but I am grateful for the time to pursue them.

Bobby is in Atlanta at a business meeting since yesterday. I was a "whirling dervish" yesterday trying to get too much done in a short period of time. Today after coming home from a good soaking-I am finding things to do in the dry-inside. Christmas is coming and once again I am vowing to not let it sneak up on me next year. That probably will not happen-AGAIN-but my intentions are good. You do know what they say about "Good Intentions" don't you?

No comments: