IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Monday, December 3, 2007

FINGERING NUMBING INTIMIDATON

God has a wonderful sense of humor! You just have to look for it to see the evidence. I have already written about Bobby's regional manager being a "Real Runner" who has trained with "the best". That was a subtle reminder of how I rank in the real world of runners. The "Big Girls" that I run with or rather way behind are an everyday reminder of my slug status, but when you are confronted with the "Big Leagues"-WELL! I try to justify my slowness with my age, but that will not fly since Sandra is actually a little older than me and runs circles around me. That woman is a phenomenon -she ran 13 Saturday, 6 yesterday, 10 this morning, and then we walked 3 more. Following that she will go swim for an hour. I am beginning to wonder if she is human-maybe she was dropped off on Earth by an alien family as a baby and she has their super powers on Earth. You know like SUPERWOMAN!

God gave me a little humility pill to swallow yesterday while on the airplane. I sat by a lady body builder. I would show you her picture, but she has all these warnings about publishing her picture. Look for yourself-Google Tina Chandler and just take a gander at my seatmate. Bobby & I immediately knew she was a body builder when she walked by us in the terminal since every muscle shows through her clothing. When I ended up sitting by her, I couldn't resist getting that all important social history. She is a massage therapist, a personal trainer, going to school to be a nurse, and now a professional body builder. She obtained her professional status about 2 weeks ago after a really fast track through the amateurs. It was a fascinating conversation, but slightly intimidating. When she asked me if I lifted, you should have heard me stumbling all over that answer. Very entertaining, thank goodness, since I was not in a very good frame of mind after another airport delay and flying in 4 hours late.

My hands were numb and hurting this morning while running. I AM NOT COMPLAINING- I love the winter. One of the things we noticed this early morning was how many stars were visible in the clear night sky. You feel like you are looking at diamonds sparkling in the thousands as they form an umbrella over your head for your early morning run. BREATH-TAKING! You have to get your head right for the cold runs. You have to figure out just the right combination of clothes, chap stick, moisturizer for your face, and cotton for your ears. Do I need one pair or two pair of gloves? Then almost always you have to strip off some clothes before you get back. It is a delicate balancing act. The good thing is the "Real Larry" showed up today, when we were running our 6 miles, after a couple of weeks of being off. Glad to see that since he should have a great marathon on this tract.

My favorite thing about winter is sitting by my fireplace with a crackling fire right beside me. Momma & Daddy instilled that love of a fire in me and I am a fire purist. No gas logs for me-I want the real thing. The wonderful aroma of that wood burning, the radiant heat making my face glow, and the thousands of memories of sitting just where I am-with my chair as close as I can get it. What a wonderful catalyst for warm remembrances of truly "Good Times." I am blessed!

No comments: