IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Thursday, December 6, 2007

Ms Hygentist & Mr. Doctor Dentist

Today was my, way behind schedule, six month trip to the dentist-a few months late. I do not ever go to the dentist that I don't have a flashback to my childhood. Good Old Dr. Billy was our family dentist. A family friend and fellow 4-H club parent, Dr Billy was a BIG MAN! He was taller than my Daddy who was 6 ft tall and unlike, by skinny Daddy, HE WAS ROTUND! I don't know if you have ever noticed, but generally speaking, really large people have REALLY LARGE HANDS. He had this really round face which you saw from a prone position. This meant that the first thing you saw was the extra neck roll that extended up into what we all would call jowls today and then the round puffy cheeks. Dr. Billy would first say, "OK open wide." Then proceed to try to put his extra large hands into my extra small mouth. I know many of you will find this difficult to believe, but I REALLY DO HAVE A SMALL MOUTH." Once the hands were at least part of the way into your mouth, the questions would start. "How's your Momma and Daddy?" Me"Gsxyt fme txbl." How are your sheep and cattle coming along this year' Me "Ukebelf dolebke boqueft." I would finally try to talk with my eyes, or nod my head, anything to try and communicate. It was always hard to understand why the questions never began until he got those #12 mitts crammed into your mouth, but that was always the way it was.

After adulthood, I have had a couple of different dentists here in Ruston. I like both of them a lot, but have I ever heard some great comments. One dentist asked me wouldn't I like to trim my gums so my teeth would look more uniform. Now I assumed this meant with a knife and would require blood and pain, so I insisted that I was not that vain. The other dentist told me to "Unhinge my jaw" one time. For the life of me, I cannot figure out where the hinge is, much less how to unhinge it. Today Ms Hygienist, who is a lovely lady, told me to relax my lips. OKAY- I know how to relax my legs, my arms, and lots of other things-BUT MY LIPS? This is another one that I am not really sure about!

BC & I have an on-going disagreement about who has the small mouth. I often tell him that HE IS UNDER THE ILLUSION THAT HE HAS A SMALL MOUTH. The man carries it to the limit when he insists that he needs a salad fork "Because his mouth is too small for the regular size." I have seen him do everything but use a shovel when he finds something he really likes. You all know him, do you really think he has a small mouth? The dentist did tell me today that my mouth was so small that he had to use child sized gloves when examining me. I CAN'T WAIT TO TELL MR. C THAT ONE! Thanks Dr. L!

Sandra & I walked 5 this morning and it was once again cold. Just wait though the hot weather will be here for our Saturday long run. It should be 65 degrees when we start at 5. I cannot tell you how much I am looking forward to that fun-sweating, chaffing, & blisters for 21 miles!

I went by to see my sweet friends, The Boersma's today. Dr Dale was in good spirits and a delight to see that way. Helen is busy putting Christmas decorations on every conceivable surface in her house and it looks a lot like Christmas. We continue to pray for that miracle for our sweet friend.

Tomorrow should be rest day and get ready for Saturday. I found out that I have to go mow & mulch up the leaves at the church and then I have a great young man coming to help me with my yard. NO REST FOR THE WEARY! I will not have to get up at 4 or 5 and THAT MY GOOD FRIENDS IS A VERY GOOD THING!

4 comments:

the Jennings secede from the South said...

I can teach you how to unhinge your jaw later. I have the tiny mouth, too!

Anonymous said...

Okay, now I am starting to think this could be genetic...I actually have a very small mouth. It happens to be the smallest part of me. Every dentist and even good ole Dr. Grafton have confirmed this. I do have to use the smaller of the spoons, I guess that would be the teaspoon. I just fill it up more. Anyway, I feel your pain--not with the running, just the small mouth!! Ann

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Lora!
I MISS YOU! Just found your blog from Camille's!
You are AMAZING! 21 miles... I knew you were a major runner but WOW!
I hope all is well! Love you and hope to see you soon!

Gabe said...

small mouth my *%$