IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Saturday, March 26, 2011

LITTLE OLD SOUTHERN GARDENERS

ONCE AGAIN---I AM WIDE AWAKE---AND CANNOT SLEEP---So I will just tell you about my day!

I road down---(you know any time in the South that we are going further South - we go down) to Natchitoches, LA today for their annual Master Gardener Symposium. NOW--I am NO Master Gardener-BUT they allow us novices to come garner some knowledge also.

We Southern Women garden--Don't You Know?----we are just supposed to do that! I learned my love for gardening from Mamaw James. She was a gardener extraordinaire! I still remember her beautiful flower garden on the North side of her house---a proverbial explosion of color in the Summer.

The first speaker of the day was a little old lady---well actually she was not so little---but I thought she was old--who owns one of the local nurseries in the middle of the state. She talked about container gardening with the fervor and excitement of Paula Dean for cooking----but with a sweet wispy Louisiana drawl---and not the brash style of Paula but more of an excited enthusiastic chatter of your sweet next door neighbor. She was a WEALTH of information and I cannot wait to do my next container after listening to her instructions.

The shock for the day though came when this sweet grandma of a lady told us her age. You could have knocked me over with a feather when she announced to the audience full of Belles With Dirt Under Their Nails that she was 66. OH MY GOSH--she is 4 years older than me. I AM OLDER THAN DIRT AFTER ALL!

3 comments:

Hannah Lee said...

I wish I had known you were here! We were downtown all day yesterday. It was a beautiful day! Glad you had a good time.

Lindsey said...

Can't wait to see pics of your lovely garden. Please share the tips on container gardening...trying to do some of that this year.

Anonymous said...

OK Lora youe are treading on thin ice since I am at least 8 yrs older than you