IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Wednesday, March 2, 2011

LIKE A FINE WINE----------

This VERY morning as I met Susan & Larry for our 5 mile run in the COLD I commented, "I just get tired of getting up to run!". Some days I have to MAKE MYSELF get out of my warm bed. After so many nights of tossing & turning and not sleeping, once I finally do go to sleep-------I just want to stay in the bed and sleep after finally nodding off. AND THEN HOPE & ENCOURAGEMENT---

I came home and began reading an article in the AARP magazine--you know that thinly disguised liberal publication. "Super Athletes" communicates the latest discoveries by scientist of why older competitors are excelling in competitive endurance sports. It seems that muscle loss or sarcopenia is to be expected as we age--but past studies have focused on sedentary older people. The scientist are now zoning in on studying older athletes and have discovered with the activity their muscles are packed with the same mitochondria as that of young people.

SO--like a fine wine---with some work----I may be actually getting better with age. I finished a marathon last year at the ripe old age of 61----thinking "I'm done". NOW----well I will think about that tomorrow--but I am encouraged!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

as much as i LOVE my vino, i think my admiration of you surpasses even that fine wine!! you are an inspiration to lots of us, whether you know it or not...

ann

Gabe said...

Definitely sounds like a liberal conspiracy- I'll get Camille moving on finding you a nice assisted living community.