IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Thursday, May 27, 2010

DAUNTING THOUGHT

I just returned from a funeral of one of my long time friends and the Mother of BC's childhood friends. She was a dear lady and quite the card. As the Service was conducted, the pastor read some excerpts from a dialogue that she had with her son about her life. As he read, I could hear her voice and tone of inflection in my mind. It was a sweet memory, of a Godly---yet highly opinionated lady. Taken from her home following WW II and plopped down in North Louisiana among her husband's "People", she had lived life well. The testament of her children and grandchildren rang clear that she had walked the walk and talked the talk of a woman filled with the love of God.

It is rather daunting to know that my parent's peers are leaving us in droves now. I had already come to the realization that my brothers and I are the senior members of our family. It is happening more and more everyday to my friends and contemporaries as "The Great Generation" slowly comes to a close.

Many accolades have been give to this generation who not only survived a childhood during The Great Depression, but then sacrificed dearly to insure our freedom during World War II. I have found letters that Daddy wrote Momma during his deployment to Europe during WWII, but that post will wait for another day. Today I am pondering now that our generation is becoming the senior generation, what will be said of us as we begin our leave taking. Some of my peers have already met their final day, that and today's funeral makes me think. What will be said and is it too late to alter the lasting impact we will have. Am I over-analyzing, as BC often accuses me, or is all of this truly as important as I think? What do you think?

No comments: