IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Friday, September 26, 2008

PILLOW TALK AMONG THE CHAOS


BC & I have spent hours talking over the economy and what is going on in the world. Both coming from financial and business backgrounds, we enjoy batting around the past causes, the present turmoil, and the future outlook of the economy we all live in. It is stimulating and mind stretching conversation that only two "Accounting/Financial Geeks" would enjoy. It is the world we have lived in for over 40 years now. A world we have come to know well and a world that we have "lived" in the midst of. A shared love that began long long ago while working together-with BC as my boss. (Yes, Helen, He was fishing off the company pier.) You might say that this is one of our topics of "Pillow Talk". Those personal and private converstaions between two that work to grow a bond of a lifetime. While walking through these conversations over the years, we have come to be so familiar with each other that we think the same thoughts at the same time, can finish each other's sentences, and often begin the same sentences aloud at the same time. Quite remarkable!


While reflecting upon this "Pillow Talk" this morning while making up the bed, I realized what an intimate thing our pillows are. When you know the pillow preference of someone, it is a very intimate detail that only someone extremely close would know. I have a flat -flat -flat pillow that I have used for years. It bends just like I want to give me a small amount of support. I drag that pillow everywhere. BC sleeps with multiple pillows, including a body pillow. He could be passed out and I could arrange all those pillows around him just like he wants them. An intimate detail that only comes with a lifetime of sharing.


God has blessed me with some very dear friends that I have traveled around with while "Chasing Marathons". I know which ones will have a pillow stuffed in their suitcase and what that special pillow is- including a very old feather pillow which weighes a ton from all of those feathers. I know which ones are not "High Maintenance" and flow with whatever pillow they have. A detail that has only come after mile upon mile of running beside each other-sharing our lives and growing to love each other. If you know someone's pillow preference, you must know them pretty well.


I have heard this term "Pillow Talk" most of my life, but have just come to realize how truly intimate those "Pillows" in our lives are. Lying on those pillows-the special pillow that we prefer-and sharing the ups and downs of a lifetime is indeed "The Most Intimate of the Intimate". HMMMMMMM-Pillow Talk

4 comments:

Bethany said...

Josh and I have quite a few pillows on our bed, but there is one pillow in particular that we both LOVE. And I can't remember where I found it so I can get another one. Yikes!

Knowing someone's pillow preference is an incredibly intimate thing. I really enjoyed this post!

adrian seney said...

Nice post! I love my bed, my pillows and my bedmate.

the Jennings secede from the South said...

Adam has a pillow that I call, "dirty ol' pillow." and he sleeps on it everynight. Whenever I make the bed, I make sure that my pillows do not touch his!!!

Deb said...

I can just hear Doris Day singing..."Pillow Talk, Pillow Talk, another night of hearing myself talk, talk, talk". Yep, I can hear Doris singing this like 1960 was yesterday...hahaha. While we are on the subject My pillow is a feather pillow...nothing like them...they are whatever you want it to be ..skinny...fat...skinny ...fat.