IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Wednesday, September 10, 2008

IT'S APPLE TIME!

Babs just returned from a trip to Missouri for her Mother's family's reunion. Her mother was one of 11 live births and is the oldest of the four living siblings at 87. There were over 90 people at the reunion including first cousins of Babs that are great grandparents. WOW!

While driving through Arkansas and Missouri, they stopped and bought some FRESHLY picked Jonathan apples from one of the local orchards. There is nothing better than FRESH picked fruit as evidenced by the blueberry picking frenzy around here this summer. Go back and look at the June 25th post if you have forgotten about that adventure. I am looking forward to enjoying these lovelies and will even share one with you if you stop by.



.EASY SUPPER FOR BUSY WOMEN
I tried a couple of new recipes last night for supper. One of my favorite sites on the WWW is All Recipes. If you have not viewed this site, you need to take a gander. Not only are there MANY MANY recipes of every conceivable dish, but there are also comments made on the recipes to help you fine tune them to your taste and ratings.
This is a pork loin roast cooked in the slow cooker and fresh carrots. It was delicious and a good change from our normal fare around here. I served the pork over brown rice that I drizzled with the juice from the roast. I am not usually a "Slow Cooker" kind of person, but this was to good to not try.
Go here
for the pork roast recipe. I followed the comments made by the second commenter for the variation that I liked. I think you could probably drain about 1/2 of the juice from the pineapples and still have plenty of drippings.
Go here
for the carrot recipe. I used organic baby carrots that were ready to go since they are a little sweeter and tender. I also bought the fresh dill that is in the refrigerator section in the tube. This lasts a little longer and hopefully I will use all of the dill before it is out of date and have no waste.
Proof positive that this was good-BC went back for seconds!

5 comments:

Hannah Lee said...

Can't wait to try that recipe! You always have the best recipes!

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

I think those refrigerated tube herbs are the greatest! along w/the tomato paste in a tube! B0000-YAH

Deb said...

I will try this cuz I love my carrots with dill....and fresh dill is the best.

Bethany said...

Yummo....I think I might have to try that one on my hubby. =)

SND said...

Can't believe that no one has mentioned about those beautiful Jonathon apples!!! They are so good. Thank you, Babs!!!