IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A BROKEN WING

As I watched my beloved birds, I saw a heart-breaking sight. Flying in the beautiful Fall sky the female Cardinal seemed to be peaceful and at ease with the world around her. Quite unsuspecting, she flew in lazy circles searching for her daily nourishment enjoying the warmth of the Fall mid-day sun. She rode along on the air currents without a hint of the moment that was to come.

Suddenly-in the blink of an eye, she was attacked from the rear. She had let her guard down and believed herself to be in a safe place-and then as her brain registered the danger-it was too late. Struck down from the sky-down from the warm currents of the noon day sun, she plunged to the ground and landed in a heap. I feared she was dead. How could she have survived?

Slowly she picked herself up from the thick carpet of pine needles. Stunned and shaken, she appeared at a loss as what she should do. In the moments to come, she and I both realized-she had a broken wing. A broken wing on a bird of flight-a horrible and sad fate for the beautiful bird.

She slowly hopped over and hid among the low lying shrubs surrounding the house. Trying to protect herself while determining what to do next. She remains hidden in the thick growth. Hopping out to catch the seeds discarded by all the other birds that still fly, she covers herself with protection while trying to heal. Will the wing heal and will she live to fly another day? Will she once again soar in the peace of the noon day sun? Only time will tell-only time will tell.

5 comments:

Elisha Leigh said...

Poor little birdie!
I think I know a few PEOPLE like this little birdie!
I hope she heals quickly!

adrian seney said...

That is sooooo sad! I hope she is okay.

Jessica Stephenson said...

What a sad story. Please keep us posted.

the Jennings secede from the South said...

Oh my gosh, that is the saddest story I've ever heard, Mom!

Deb said...

What exactly happened to her...poor girl.