IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Monday, September 22, 2008

AUTUMN

Today marks the first day of the beginning of Autumn. As I was reflecting on the changing of the seasons, I thought of how Autumn begins the process of all that is beautiful slowly changing and eventually dying. We watch as all that Nature has so carefully nurtured and grown slowly turns a beautiful array of colors for us all to behold. The dying process is somehow made easier by the glory of this final display of life. While we sit and enjoy the glory and beauty, slowly but surely death is coming to the glory. In such a brief span and often with a quick gust of wind, the glory is blown away to lie underfoot until eventually returning to the earth that gave it life.

Winter is coming. The bleak and gray short days of winter. When all appears gone and hope is crushed with the cold and frigid wrapping us in despair, winter surrounds us. No sign of life and only stark reminders around us of what had been.

Spring-OH BLESSED Spring. New Life and a return of hope as the plants and leaves slowly unfold and lift to greet the warmth of the sun. Life once again bursts forth in the full glory of the Creator. Hope has come to live once again.

Summer rushes forth with little fanfare as the cool of the Spring quickly turns to the heat of the Summer. Lush and fully matured the wonder of nature fills every inch of the Earth. Life feels like it will last forever and this will always be-

But Autumn-Autumn is coming.

5 comments:

the Jennings secede from the South said...

Mom, we all know that winter doesn't exist in Louisiana...

adrian seney said...

Nicely put....but, guess what is even better than today being the first day of autumn??!! Caleb and I have been married for 7 years today! What a good man he is!

Bethany said...

Beautiful picture!

Deb said...

I love fall....but it just isn't quite the same down here. Up home my favorite time is about Oct. 9th. The foliage is always pretty at that time....and the air is so crisp and clean. Our football games were on Sat. afternoons and we would break out the wool shorts, sweaters, and knee socks. Just perfect days...perfect smells and beautiful hills all around! Wish I could go back to just one game.....but alas, it is gone and I didn't even appreciate it at the time!

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

LOL....I agree with Camille...you sound like the end of the world is coming....we are doooomed hahahaha. Winter is actually the ONLY part of the south I can stomach.

I wish I had that picture out of my window 365 days a year. I imagine heaven or my idea of heaven is sitting in a pile of fall leaves with a wet sucker~linus.