IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Thursday, July 12, 2007

CONSPIRACY THEORY-Take 2



I've been thinking (no smart comments)! Mr. Bicycle told BC yesterday that he would need to get clips for pedals and a pair of clip shoes. They should ONLY run about $400. THAT IS HALF OF WHAT THE ENTIRE BICYCLE COST!!!!!!!




I've figured it all out though. The companies that sale sports stuff have given the doctor union a big bribe to say we all need to exercise everyday and that CROSS TRAINING would be best. That means buying all of the REQUIRED? equipment.




In the case of biking, you only start with the expensive bike. Next you need the gel pants since they make the darn seat so hard you will be screaming for mercy within the first 10 minutes. Oh yes, be sure and get the helmet, since we wouldn't want brain damage from a fall. (If a car hits you the least of your worries will be brain damage) THE GLOVES-wouldn't want to get calluses! The pump since for some strange reason your bike tires loose air on a regular basis. Now I have NEVER had to air up my car tires and they are made of the same stuff, so what goes with that? And OH YES, in case you thought you could go to Wal Marks and buy a $20 pump, think again. Turns out the road bikes have some special kind of valve on them and they need more pressure-so a more expensive pump. It didn't take bc long to decide he needed a mirror-I could understand that, but when Randy proceeds to tell him he needs new tires, because the standard ones that come on the bike will just not do-WELL!




The clothing we need for any sport has become another thing. We all need dri-fit fabric since we all sweat up a storm. The shirts for biking run about $75-NOW YOU ARE PAYING THAT TO SWEAT IN IT. I don't think anyone, but another biker really cares what you have on-most of the car drivers are cussing you anyway for being in the PUBLIC road.




Being a runner, I thought I had escaped all of this high priced carrying on, until I began to think about it. My shoes, which run about $100 per pair, have to be replaced about every 3 months. They still look great, but the cushioning becomes compressed and thus more injuries and painful runs. Now they could just put a little more cushion in them to begin with, BUT OH NO, that would make them last longer. All of my running clothes are dri-fit-for good reason-but why don't they just sale all of our clothes in the South made from dri-fit. It's not like you can walk outside and not break into a sweat. THIS WOULD MAKE TOO MUCH SENSE.




The socks-well they are like the shoes-you need a different type depending upon what you are doing. They come in all different lengths and are sport specific. A SOCK-for crying out loud. I wear blister proof socks, but had to have smart wool for hiking. NOW WHY NOT MAKE ALL SOCKS BLISTER-PROOF?




Let me reflect, when growing up, I had one bike that I rode hundreds of miles. It had 3 (THREE) gears and was a Schwinn. It must have weighed around 50 lbs. and I never wore a helmet nor any special shoes. In fact, I only had one pair of shoes each school year and wore them to school, for sports, bike riding, running, etc. etc. I believe when I was in high school, I did have a pair of Keds tennis shoes-now that was some high tech shoe!




Do you get my drift??? It is definitely a conspiracy!




We ran our 5 miles and went back to an oldie but goodie route starting at Railroad Park. This route enables you to run up EVERY hill in town. WHAT FUN!




In case you are interested, these are pictures of where the sun was when we finished and what the temperature was on my way home:




1 comment:

Moto Mama said...

Who makes you do this?