IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Monday, July 9, 2007

Blogging 101


You can't teach an old dog new tricks-OR CAN YOU? Since my daughter is such a terrific blogger and I enjoy reading her blog so much-why not try it?????

This blog will capture the fun and adventures of trying to stay in reasonably good shape while swiftly approaching another decade milestone. Don't count me gone yet---but at 58 1/2 (as my sweet spouse reminds me for insurance purposes 59) this old body is not as easy to whip into shape as it once was.

Our running group is currently getting ready for a hiking trip to the Canadian Rockies in two weeks. I wouldn't want to get too panicky-afterall I do have 2 whole weeks to finish getting this sorry bag of bones ready for 6 separate hikes in upper altitudes . No need to panick!

We do have the highest point in Louisiana easily within our driving reach to train on, if we so choose. Somehow the entire 200 ft elevation above sea level, just doesn't seem to be the challenge we might need.

We ran this AM in the mist with temps in the upper 70's at 5:30 for a 5 mile loop. The loop into town was almost all hills, but then we came back on flatter terrain. Can I tell you how much fun it is to run in the outdoors that feel like an all encompassing suana? The air is so heavy that you cannot suck enough into your lungs. The true rain didn't come to the last half a mile, but it was a welcome relief. The only good thing about this morning is that I didn't have to get up until 5:10. I HATE for that clock to have a 4 in the front on those earlier mornings.

Our token male, Larry, had trouble getting in enough air with his asthma and heart problems. He just will not listen to his elder and start out slower. By the time that we got to the three mile mark, he was pretty much shot.

My main running buddies were MIA today, so I am running at the back of the pack-BY MYSELF-thinking why am I doing this??????? THE BEST THING I CAN SAY ABOUT TODAY'S RUN IS THAT IT IS OVER!