IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Thursday, July 19, 2007

BLACK TOES1!

Oh the pain we bear to be called a runner. I went to get a long overdue pedicure today, in hopes to not embarrass my hiking buddies when walking around in flip flops after a long day of hiking. I made the discovery, after removing what was left of last month's polish, that my big toe was quite black and pretty ugly. One of the problems with walking or running at the park is that I tend to loose toenails at an alarming rate. The only thing I can determine is that when going down steep hills, I rub my toenails on the top of my shoe. This in turn causes a blister under my toenail. After a couple of days of pain, the swelling goes down and in about a month, off comes the toenail. I haven't had this problem in sometime, since I have successfully avoided the steep hills at the park, but training for the hiking resulted in revisiting these same hills. My short term solution is to paint the toenail very dark red and when it comes off, I will paint the skin so that you think there is a nail there. Not a pretty sight and Mr. C does not like to discuss it or look at it. We all like to display our war wounds and brag about the pain we endure, but I have no audience on Wire Road.

This is an example of my toe-except in the middle is a white blister and it is surrounded by bruising. LOVELY!

We went to the park this AM and hiked around 5. HOT HOT HOT. When I looked at the weather in Banff and the humidity was 30%, I jumped for joy. Who cares about black toes, we will be in runner and hiker paradise!

2 comments:

the Jennings secede from the South said...

thats appalling.

Moto Mama said...

Please wear a band-aide or closed-toe shoes. (for your friends' sakes)