IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Wednesday, October 20, 2010

CONVERSATIONS WITH AN 8 YEAR OLD

As we ALL know, boys are notorious for short conversations on the telephone, but young grandsons are especially brief in the telephone communication. I recently received a "Flat Stanley" from Grand #2. As Camille and Meredith both told me, perhaps I over-functioned a tad bit--BUT it's important! I made the requisite pictures around Ruston with Stanley and then instead of just putting them in a envelope with a letter, I made a book. IT WAS CUTE-I PROMISE. Since I had waited until the last minute to finish the project, I Fed Exed it to #2. I finally called his Daddy yesterday to make sure he had received it and he said, "He hasn't called you yet?" DUH--why would I be calling and asking if I had talked with him?

#2 called last night and here is how the conversation went:

Me-Hello
Me-Hello
Me-Hello
Me-Is this a call from Austin
#2-Thanks for the Flat Stanley thing
Me-Did you like it
#2-yeah
Me-Did your class like it
#2-yeah
Me-Where else did Stanley go?
#2-Nowhere
Me-I thought you said he went to New York City also?
#2-Oh yeah
Me-How's football going?
#2-Fine
Me-Have you scored anymore TD's (he ran for a touchdown when we were there)
#2-Yeah
Me-How many more TD's have you scored?
#2-5 or 2
Me-Do you score one in every game?
#2-I don't know
Me-When are you coming to see us?
#2-silence----I can literally feel him slipping away--staring off into space---zoned out
Me-Thank you for calling, I love you
#2-Grunt

NOW what I didn't tell you is that I had to repeat everything I said at least twice-He would said WHAT? I would repeat and sometimes we did that again. Don't know if he wasn't listening or if I had marbles in my mouth.

LOVE These Conversations. He will make some girl SO happy someday when he calls her! Hope I live long enough to tell his future wife of these LONG talks we enjoyed! SUCH A BOY!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

great story. made me die laughing... males... :)
elj

Marylou said...

you have GOT to get a girl grandchild :) Tristyn doesn't STOP talking and even talks/sings while we are eating dinner. Of course there's no way she got that from her mommy ;)

Emily said...

Funny! Hayden is the same way. I even have to ask very specific questions about his day at school, or I just get "I don't remember."

the Jennings secede from the South said...

Ha! One day he will spend hours on the phone with some girl- so true.

Anonymous said...

That is how Scott talks on the phone - no kidding! And I'll confirm - the Flat Stanley book was soooo cute!

-Caroline