IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Friday, July 20, 2012

LADIES DO NOT

I spent a LOT of my formative years hearing the words:  


LADIES DO NOT


The list was LONG!  My mother was so determined to make a lady out of me!  Somewhere around the 11-12 year old age I spent a year driving an hour to a nearby town to attend
"Charm School".  WHAT you don't know what Charm School is!   You learned VERY important lessons in life---how to sit--how to stand--how to walk--how to eat---how to introduce others--ON AN ON AND ON.   WHO KNEW YOU NEEDED LESSONS FOR WHAT SEEMED TO BE A NORMAL PART OF LIVING!  


NOW---what was sad is that--I had two brothers---no girls to play with---and a father who liked for me to raise sheep/cows and ride a horse.  As a concession to Momma---I did ride English--NOT Western.  That seemed a little strange---wasn't she SO proud of her Texas roots---but that didn't mean I could be a little cowgirl---oh NO---had to be The Lady!


I must say it was VERY difficult to maintain the appearance of a lady---while shoveling poop out of the animal pins.  SO---I CAN act like a lady today---Thank You, Momma---but there will always be that Tomboy skirting around the edges and making a regular appearance!

No comments: